Saturday, October 25, 2014

Hammie By The Light Of Day - Pictures

Stepping outside and seeing the camper parked on the curb in the morning light, I couldn't help but feel a sense of anticipation and hope.  Walking around the outside, there were definite places where the camper had been sealed for leaks, rather poorly and messily.  Someone had backed it into an object at some point, but I loved the fin on the back immediately.  Surprisingly, the skin was in really great condition and all but the back window were intact.





The first thing I did was crawl underneath and take a look at why she was listing to one side.  I didn't know what it was called, but it looked like a U shaped hanger was laying down instead of standing up and I hoped that a mechanic could quickly fix the issue.  While a bit surface rusty, the underside looked relatively good and all the metal pieces were in good shape.



I decided that even though I didn't know what exactly was wrong, this piece was the reason for the clanking.  I made a mental note to call a few camper places later and see if I could find someone to fix the issue.

Next, I went inside to assess what really needed to be done inside the camper.  There is only about 25 square feet of floor space.  The camper is only 12.5 feet from bumper to hitch, so it is compact.  To the front is a dinette that makes into a twin sized bed.  The fridge is an icebox, which we like so much better than worrying about keeping an electric fridge working.  It has a sink and a three burner stove.  To the rear is a sofa that turns in to a full size bed with a retractable bunk above it.  The bunk is a little bit larger than twin sized and will be perfect for our little girlie.



There is a lot of storage in the camper.  While there is a bit more water damage in each corner that I had missed the night before, pressing into the corners, they were not soft.  I pulled all of the cushions out and set to work with a bucket, a rag and strong cleaner.  As I scrubbed and cleaned I made notes of things that would need attention - having the corners inspected for stability and rot, replacing the rear window, reupholster the cushions, paint the walls, new curtains.  For the most part, cosmetic. 

The floor had spent it's entire life covered with a carpet, which the seller removed for us.  The floors were in perfect condition, which was a nice surprise.  One interesting thing about the camper is that it has a propane light that also acts as a heater.  

While I was nervous about the mechanical side of things and the mysterious clank, I could feel myself getting excited about the potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment